|Event Start Date:|
June 24, 2019
|Event End Date:|
June 25, 2019
Hilo Hawai'i. Hawai'i County Office of Aging. Aging & Disability Resource Center
Starfish Mentoring Program Mentor Training
Please register as a Volunteer by May 31st to be eligible. Register as a volunteer: https://hoolanapua.org/volunteer/
Date: June 24th & June 25th, 2019
Time: 9:00pm – 4:00pm | Check-In Time: 8:30 am
Location: Hawai’i County Office of Aging. Aging & Disability Resource Center
Address: 1055 Kinoole Street Hilo, HI 96720-3872
Cost: $50 (covers background checks)
Lunch: Will be provided by HNP
- Hoʻōla Nā Pua’s Starfish Mentoring Program provides mentoring with health-centric, trauma-informed care and support that addresses the unique needs of survivors of sex trafficking and those at risk.
- Weekly meetings are activity-based and led by extensively trained mentors aged twenty-one or older.
- Mentors offer support and advocacy while serving as positive role models to program participants, ages 11-21, known as mentees.
- Advised by HNP, mentors carefully select activities that encourage forward-thinking, self-empowerment, and prosocial skills.
As a volunteer mentor, you can make a huge difference in the life and future of a young person in Hawaii. Minimum requirements include:
- Be at least age 21 or older
- Commitment to the program of at least one year
- Complete 24 hours of specialized training plus 6 hours of shadowing prior to mentoring
- Commit at least 2 hours per week of activity-based mentoring
- Attend 2 hours per month of ongoing mentor training
- Adherence to program guidelines and strict policies regarding mentee contact
- Ability to pass all screening and background requirements
- Have access to reliable transportation.
For more information please contact Anastasia Ayers. Direct Services Program Manager, Hawai’i Island firstname.lastname@example.org.