STARFISH MENTORING PROGRAM
COVID-19 Virtual Programming Support Available NOW
STARFISH MENTORING PROGRAM:
We provide one to one long term mentors who provide consistent support for youth on their journey of healing as they move toward self-efficacy and healthy relationships. Regularly, we provide mentor-mentee meet ups in person and/or virtual.
COVID-19 Virtual Adaptation: Our mentors are adjusting to meet the needs of our youth. They are providing more frequent calls, texts, letter writing, and video calls. We know that social distancing can create feelings of isolation for our youth and mentors are providing a safe place for youth to experience their emotions and will help them navigate their daily actions and interactions. Parent and family needs are shifting as well as placements for youth who are in short term shelters. In order to meet youth where they currently are, our mentors are planning the following:
- Plan a daily check in text or call
- Plan a routine that you can both do, such as a book to be reading and check in on, or a movie or show you can watch separately and then talk about together
- Continue to talk about future plans and goals and ways to continue moving forward in this season. Stay positive and remind them of the things that they are in control of.
Contact the Starfish Mentoring Program Manager at 808-222-1872 to inquire about the program or to make a referral.
We need YOU to become a Mentor.
Requests for mentors have increased during this time and we are looking for volunteers. Our goal is for every youth in our care to have an advocate who empowers them on their journey of healing. Ho’ōla Nā Pua’s Starfish Mentoring Program provides a mentor to youth 11-21 years of age who are at risk of or have been exploited. Mentors and mentees build relationships through creative activities and rapport-building exercises, such as opportunities to build confidence, new learning experiences, and planning for the future.
- Do you like to empower others?
- Are you available to meet with a mentee at least 2 hours a week?
- Can you commit to one year of weekly meetings?
If you are interested, please email email@example.com